Insights Brief: 15 Stats Digital Marketers Should Know About Hispanic Consumers
June 15, 2016
Hispanics spend more on groceries than the overall U.S. population, presenting a huge opportunity for growth among retailers and CPG brands. Here are key stats that will inform you about the most mobile and socially active group in the U.S.
- Hispanics account for 17.4 percent of the U.S. population, or 55.4 million people (Pew).
- More than 20 percent of U.S. millennials are Hispanic (Ad Age).
- Hispanics have more than $1.2 trillion in purchasing power (Nielsen).
- In a survey conducted by Nielsen, 86 percent of U.S. Hispanics said that Hispanic women control household spending, dominating the lion’s share of that $1.2 trillion (NBC News).
- Hispanics spend more on groceries ($425 per month) than the overall U.S. population ($416 per month), meaning the Hispanic market presents an opportunity for growth among retailers and CPG brands (Retail Leader).
- Hispanics spend 2.7 hours online per day compared to 2.1 hours spent by non-Hispanics (Ad Age).
- 66 percent of U.S. Hispanics say they pay attention to online ads, almost 20 percentage points more than the general online population (Google and Ipsos MediaCT).
- 83 percent use their mobile devices while they are at a store to inform their purchase in real time (Google and Ipsos MediaCT).
- 95 percent of U.S. Hispanics on Facebook login from their phones, with 47 percent accessing Facebook exclusively on mobile (Facebook For Business).
- Among those who recall seeing online ads, 93 percent of Hispanics take action—whether that’s performing a search, visiting a company’s website, or making a purchase (Google and Ipsos MediaCT).
- Facebook reaches more Hispanics than TV: 16.3 percent of U.S. Hispanics can only be reached on TV vs. 17.5 percent only on Facebook (Ad Age).
- 71 percent of U.S. Hispanics use Facebook to connect with loved ones every day. 60 percent of U.S. Hispanics use Facebook Messenger to communicate with friends and family outside the U.S. (Facebook IQ).
- About one-third (34 percent) of online Hispanics use Instagram (Pew).
- Video ads on Facebook capture 56 percent of U.S. Hispanics’ interest. Bilingual Hispanics and Spanish Dominant Hispanics are most receptive to video ads than other ad types (Facebook IQ).
- 80 percent of U.S. Hispanics prefer ads that incorporate Spanish messaging (Facebook IQ).
Sign up for The Daily Code to get our next edition of Insights Brief delivered straight to your inbox!