Insights Brief: 15 Stats Marketers Must Know About Digital Video
June 6, 2016
The future of video is digital, and the future is here. In fact, 62 percent of U.S. adults say they prefer original digital videos (ODV) to primetime TV because ODV allows them to watch their shows on their own schedule, according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau. Our latest Insights Brief features 15 stats you should know about this rapidly changing media format.
- 72 percent of marketers expect to increase digital video ad spend within the next year. 41 percent said they would shift spend from cable TV advertising, while 47 percent said it would come out of broadcast TV budgets (Adweek).
- In Q3 2015, video ads accounted for 29 percent of SocialCode’s clients’ total ad spend on Facebook, marking the first time in which quarterly video ad spend exceeded photo ad spend, formerly the most popular format (SocialCode).
- 62 percent of U.S. adults say they prefer original digital videos (ODV) to primetime TV because ODV allows them to watch their shows on their own schedule (IAB).
- U.S. digital video ad spend is predicted to reach $28.08 billion in 2020, up from $9.90 billion in 2016 (eMarketer).
- Video will account for 20 percent of total digital ad spend this year (eMarketer).
- The Republican National Committee will spend $150 million on digital video ads in the general election (Ad Age).
- MAGNA Global will shift $250 million from its TV budget into YouTube (Ad Exchanger).
- Facebook had 83.3 million unique viewers as of March 2016, ranking above NBCUniversal, ABC Digital and CBS Interactive (Ad Age).
- Facebook hosts upwards of 8 billion video views per day (Digiday).
- Facebook’s video ad revenue is expected to be roughly $2 billion worldwide in 2016 (Ad Age).
- 85 percent of Facebook videos are viewed without sound (Digiday).
- In the last six months, time spent watching video on Instagram has increased by more than 40 percent (Instagram).
- Snapchat reports 10+ billion video views every day (Snapchat).
- Up to 8X more U.S. 13 to 34 year-olds view Snapchat Live Stories than TV for similar events (Snapchat).
- According to Snapchat, vertical video ads have a 9X higher completion rate compared to horizontal video ads (Snapchat).
Sign up for The Daily Code to get our next edition of Insights Brief delivered straight to your inbox!